Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Splurge!

I finally splurged last week to purchase this sewing clamp kit by The Heart's Content.  This one is called Sampler Bits.  I've wanted one of these ever since they came out a few years ago but just never got around to purchasing one.  (It appears I almost waited too long as it was hard to find one to buy.)  I love that the kit actually includes the antique sewing clamp (these too are virtually impossible to find).  I'm looking forward to making this one of my next "new starts".
I thought I would include a picture of my progress on Red Riding Hood by Primitive Hare.  I will give you a few of the facts about my piece.  I am stitching it on the 40 count Old Salem Linen by Primitive Hare.  I am using 1 strand of floss over 2 threads.  I'm using all the called for colors except the red.  I changed it from Buckeye Scarlet to Bandana as I have my eye on a frame that should match it perfectly.  I did, however, opt to use 2 strands of thread when stitching the snowflakes.  Since the rest of the design is 1 strand over 2 using 2 over 2 is giving it an appearance of 3D snowflakes which help them to show up better.  The bottom left border has me at the bottom of the design.  I stitched the bottom half of that border in a couple of hours so an anticipating a rapid conclusion to this piece. 
Yesterday I was headed to my local quilt shop looking for some inspiration for Christmas gifts to make this year.  All that stood between me and it was this engine.  In the picture you can see the brick building off to the left which houses the quilt shop.  The engine is parked across the street and I had to laugh when the engineer got out and had to walk over and unlock the gate to continue on his journey.  Funny sight to see in the heart of a bustling city.

Last but not least I would like to send out belated Happy Birthday wishes to Teresa (http://atwillowtreepond.blogspot.com).  She celebrated on October 31.  Teresa, hope it was a fabulous day filled with fun activities!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts....