Thursday, February 20, 2014

This and That!

Today seemed like a good day to stick close to home and get a few things caught up.  We have had beautiful Spring like weather the past couple of days but today we are expecting everything from a severe thunderstorm with hail which just arrived.
In a couple hours the snow is supposed to commence (including thunder snow) with winds creating blizzard conditions.  This should come as no surprise to anyone living in Iowa as we always get this crazy weather during the High School State wrestling (which is this week) and basketball tournaments.  They are already breaking into television programming with warnings.  I see many of the schools have decided to let out early (smart).

My new Jeep has arrived and we went out to have a look at it.  I love the new color and my son can't wait to get to watch the DVD player they now put in the back of the seat.  They are currently running the new vehicle inspections and adding my husband's "must have" list of accessories.  I will finally get to drive it off the lot on Saturday.  I can't wait!

I found a few minutes to stitch the other night but got involved in watching the movie Ender's Game so didn't accomplish much as I put it down.  I'm thinking I should start knitting my new afghan because it is something I can work on even when I am really involved in what I am watching on t.v.

I'm hoping to get a couple of hours of stitching time sometime today.  I ended up ripping out and changing the color for the flower stems.  It just wasn't the right color family to go with the leaves.  The leaves were a yellow green but the stems were a blue green.  Much happier with my color choice.   
I bought a couple of books recently to add to my collection.  In all honesty I like the A Schoolroom Alphabet much better than the Sonoran Borders.  It has patterns I would stitch along with the historical information.  The Sonoran Borders has patterns as well but they are just not my style.  The historical information is enjoyable to read.  Still I probably will do a giveaway or gift the Sonoran Borders.
I finished the book Allegiant (3rd book in trilogy) last night by Veronica Roth.  I really enjoyed this book as it told the story you got the background for in the first two books.  I am now going to start next month's book club selection which is Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen.  I also started another of our book club selections which is Far From the Tree by Andrew Solomon.  It is a pretty long book and is more technical than pleasure reading so know it will take me longer to get through.

I stopped at the grocery store this morning and bought the ingredients for a cake I haven't made in a very long time (probably 20 years).  This is a shame as it is the most decadent make you swoon cake I've ever eaten.  I picked this recipe up in a magazine somewhere back in the 80's and it was the most requested birthday cake where I worked at that time.  It is called moist n' creamy coconut cake.  I can't wait for that first bite!  I will put the recipe on my cooking blog once I have made the cake and have a picture to share.






1 comment:

  1. The author of the Alphabet book is coming to speak at the Northwest Sampler Guild annual tea this Sunday! I am hoping she will have some books with her :)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts....