Saturday, December 29, 2012

Placemat Tutorial!

Lorrie's Placemat Tutorial

When I decided I wanted to make a set of placements for my friend, Allison, all I really knew for sure is that I wanted them to have a panel on one side large enough for a dinner plate, and a panel on the other side large enough for the utensils.  I also wanted to divide the two panels with some decorative trim.  I did some research and found that on the average placemats are 14"x18".  There are some a bit smaller and some a bit larger but the majority have a finished size of 14"x18" so that is what I decided my finished size would be.
 This photo shows all my materials cut out for 2 placemats.  You will need a side panel cut 13"x15" (plate panel), 7 rectangles cut 3"x6 1/2" (utensil side), 1 back piece 15"x19" and 1 piece of fusible fleece 14"x18" and 15" piece of trim for each placemat.  You will note I have my rectangles placed in the order I want to sew them together.  I used 1/2" and 1/4" seams (see instructions).




I start the sewing process by sewing together the 7 rectangles along the 6 1/2" side (1/2" seam).



Once I have all 7 rectangles sewn together, I iron the seams flat.

 I then lay the side panel (plate panel) right side up and pin the sewn together rectangles to it right sides together.  I then sew the 2 pieces together along the edge (1/2" seam).













I then iron that seam flat.
I then sew trim piece on the seam between the side panel (plate panel) and the rectangle strip (utensil panel).  Once that is complete I iron the fusible fleece to the back panel.
I then place the back panel fusible side down and the placemat top right sides together and pin.  This is where you will do some trimming so that all of your edges align.  
I then sew around the entire placemat using a 1/4" seam leaving an opening to turn placemat right side out along the long side of the side panel (plate panel).  Clip the corners and turn right side out.
  
Your placemat will look like this and I would give it an iron at this point.  I then pin the opening together and starting in the corner above the opening I sew a scant 1/8" to 1/4" inch seam around the entire piece using a matching thread to close the opening.  I then give it a finishing iron and you are done.


If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact me and I will try and clarify the instructions for you.  

This is my last post for 2012 and I wish each and everyone of you Health, Happiness and Prosperity in the coming year.  See you in 2013!

HAPPY  NEW YEAR!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts....