Friday, July 4, 2014

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
Today we are celebrating Independence Day and as always my son likes to dress for the occasion - well really we all do.  It is common to see everyone wearing something in red white and blue on this day.  I always sprinkle a little bit of the patriotic around the house for the month of July as well.

Last night we took a drive around town checking out all the many activities going on this weekend for the 4th.  

There is the 80/35 music festival. There was the Yankee Doodle Pops which is an outdoor concert by the Des Moines Symphony ending in a fireworks display.

The Iowa Cubs Triple A baseball team was also in town with end of game fireworks.

The Good Guys car show is also going on all weekend at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.  It officially starts today but there were many old cars to see around town during our drive.

While hubby is out golfing this morning I have been preparing side dishes for our cook out later today.  As we've been gone on a trip, this year it is just going to be the 3 of us as no time to try and put together something for family and friends.  I, however, still insist on making it something special for us.  I think our years in the Air Force and being so far from family and childhood friends has taught me to keep it special even if it is just the 3 of us.

I don't know what else we will be doing to celebrate the holiday over the weekend but do know we will be finishing up with showing our Camaro on Sunday at the Good Guys car show for All American Sunday.  I will pack a picnic lunch in the cooler and will enjoy a wonderful day with hubby and son.  Although we are expecting temperatures on that day to be 91 with a heat indices of 100 degrees.  YIKES!

HUMMING BIRD


 

 I also found some time this morning to snap a few shots of our visiting hummingbird.  Several people in the neighborhood have put out feeders but it seems that they prefer our flowers instead.  I will be sitting out on the porch and they will come up to the flowers within inches of where I am sitting.  Apparently my reading does not bother them.

STITCHING

While on our recent trip I did manage to find a little bit of time for stitching.  I made a bit of progress on Harvest Time by the Prairie Schooler.  I'm hoping to find a couple of hours over the weekend to make some significant progress on this project. 

READING

I'm almost finished reading A Higher Call by Adam Makos.  Really an excellent read about the fighter pilots in WWII.  I highly recommend it.

VACATION

I have run out of time for posting today so will share my vacation with you on the next one.  Have a wonderful weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear your thoughts....