Saturday was the local Race for the Cure that takes place every October. Plans did not quite go as I had anticipated. When your child starts running a fever in the night, things go from everyone getting up and around so they can drop you off at the race site to driving yourself to the site. Lucky for me I have a husband who understands my need to participate in this walk every year (Mom lost her 15 year battle with breast cancer in 2010) and took over nursing duty for our son.
It was a wonderful event again this year with a huge crowd in attendance. I'm always amazed at how well organized this event is and how smoothly it runs.
This next picture shows how far back I was for the start of the walk. The race began promptly at 9:00 but I did not take my first steps until 9:05 due to the sheer number of people ahead of me. You can see from the second photo how many are already down the hill and making the first turn.
This is the number on the clock when I crossed the finish line. My actual time is 5 minutes less than this as again I did not start until 9:05 which was 5 minutes after the clock started. I'm pleased to report I walked the 5K in 46 min. 19 sec. and this is a personal best for me. I guess walking the incline on the treadmill at the Y is paying off.
It is still not too late to make a donation in Mom's memory. I've included a link for those who might want to consider doing this. http://iowa.info-komen.org/site/TR/Events?px=9649637&pg=personal&fr_id=3487&s_subsrc=bfscheduler&s_src=boundlessfundraising
Now on to a stitching related project. I signed up to do a swap through Primitive Hare and my stitched and finished piece must be to its' recipient by Thanksgiving. I've been working on it a bit at a time now that I've decided how I want to finish it.
I've decided to mount it on a box and do some finishing on the inside of the box. This is how the top looks at present. I'm going to hit the fabric stores tomorrow to see if I can find a trim I want to put on it. Chenille would be nice but don't think I'll find that here locally.
The inside so far has a padded section on the left where I plan on putting decorative pins. I see a trip to the scrapbooking store tomorrow on a hunt for those. On the right is a fabric covered magnet to hold needles. I'm trying to decide how to finish the other 2 sections. I think it would be nice if I could figure out a way to hold a pair of scissors in one section. I've not had time to think about how I might accomplish this. I think one section I will just pad and use some of my vintage buttons to "tuft" it.
I've never done anything like this before and hope the recipient will like it. I probably should have made a pillow which I'm good at but I just wanted to try something new.