Friday, February 7, 2014

Finally Some Finish Work!

I've accomplished much since last Sunday's post.  For starters I finished stitching Fond Hearts by Blackbird Designs on that very evening.  It is stitched on a piece of 28 count OOPS fabric (meaning the dyer didn't get the color she wanted so didn't write down the formula so this color won't be recreated).  This photo I took at the frame shop when "trying on" frames is the one that really comes closest to the true color of the fabric.

I also changed the colors for this design.  I found the designer choices for the reds ran a bit more purple than I liked and the colors for the stems a bit drab for my taste.  I am very happy with the results. 

      Designer's Choice                                                  Lorrie's Choice
     WDW Palomino                                                     WDW Lucky   
     WDW Red Pear                                                       GA Raspberry Parfait
     WDW Havana                                                         CC Spinach
     WDW Williamsburg Red                                        CC Razzleberry

I will also point out that I moved the words on the right side of the heart down by 4 stitches.  The design did not have the words reading smoothly from the left side of the heart to the right and dropping the words by 4 stitches does make it flow more smoothly when reading.                                    

 I chose the frame from the bottom in the above photo.  It is a perfect match in color to the CC Razzleberry.
Monday night I sat down and in 2 hours stitched part of Give Love by The Little Stitcher.  I stitched it on 28 count 1 over 1.  I did change the called for DMC 355 (the dress) to DMC 498.  I'm really into the reds right now for some reason.  Threads, fabric, cars, clothes, kitchen towels - really into the red.  I've been wanting to make one of those pocket watches with a small stitched piece for it and this is the one I chose.  I wanted to make it as a birthday gift for my friend, Belinda.  I chose to keep the design in the pocket watch simple and just used a couple of my vintage buttons.  Sometimes less is more.

It would also seem that a 6" snow day results in some very productive time at my sewing machine.  I was commissioned by my sister-in-law's sister to make two zippered sofa pillows.  A few weeks ago the three of us sat down to do some fabric and pillow shopping online and she found some gorgeous fabric.  It arrived a couple of weeks ago and as of Wednesday I had not yet found the nerve to cut into her beautiful fabric.  I woke up Wednesday with all that snow and decided THE DAY HAD ARRIVED!  Armed with my iPad which had the video tutorial I had watched at least a dozen times I headed off to my sewing corner and commenced cutting, pressing, sewing, turning and stuffing the pillows. 

This is the finished product and I have to say I'm very proud of my work on them.  I think they look as good as anything I've seen for sell in the stores for a much larger price.  The tutorial was absolutely amazing and the zippers were a cinch breeze delight to do.  I know zippers are NEVER a delight!  I could not believe how fast they were to make from the first cut to the zipping them closed.  I have in mind a way I can apply this technique to making my lined zippered projects bags that will make them look so much more professional and faster to make.  I'm hoping to carve out a bit of time this weekend to give this theory of mine a try.  
 I was so enamored with my new technique that I decided to finish One Soul One Earth and Valentine by Primitive Hare into zippered pillows.  The fabrics are Midwinter Reds by Minnick & Simpson.  Again the reds - I love them!

 This is a Lizzie Kate Winter Fab Fob Limited Edition Kit.  I stitched it up last year and it was hanging on my magnetic project board in my sewing corner waiting for finishing.  It only took a couple of minutes to get it to the "just need to slip stitch it closed" point.  It will be done before the weekend is over.

 I tried a new recipe this week as well and it was a keeper.  This is beef and snow peas - well actually it is snap peas as could not get snow peas here.  I got the original recipe off of Pioneer Woman.  As always, I changed the recipe for a couple of reasons.  One I could not get all the ingredients at my store which is surprising and secondly and most importantly I changed it to suit my family's taste.  I added some mushrooms to my version and used balsamic vinegar (I had it on hand) instead of cooking sherry (I would have had to buy).  I also added a bit more brown sugar to the sauce as it was a bit too tart for my taste.  Served over rice it was just delicious!

 Off to run a few errands and then lunch to celebrate Belinda's birthday!  I'm also going to start a new stitching project tonight!


  1. Wow, Lorrie! What a wonderful array of projects you shared! I love the pocket watch you created for Belinda and the pillow you were commissioned to do. Hope the zipper install technique works for your project bags.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

  2. I like the Winter fob. It looks familiar ;)
    Also the zipper pillow is fab! Love putting it in the bottom of the pillow instead of across the back.
    And the watch makes me jealous! I want to make one but can't find a watch case at my local JoAnn's. I'll keep looking :)
    Have a great weekend!


Love to hear your thoughts....